Sunday, June 28, 2015

RACHEL'S DYSPHORIA

Friends,

I've been wanting to address this issue for a few weeks now, but I've been a busy mess lately.  

A couple weeks ago the world was introduced to a lady named Rachel Dolezal who we all know now was born white though she worked her way up to being President of the NAACP by not only being an activist & advocate, but by lying about being white. She basically "passed" as black by adopting a black-ish appearance and telling a black backstory.

In the weeks following this story there were many fascinating analyses made about what harm was done by this woman. I mean, she was doing good work, right? And what's the difference between one changing one's gender and changing one's race? Can't someone be "transracial" if another can be transgender?

After listening to all the news stories and reading dozens of articles (both pro and con the "transracial argument") I was surprised that no one ever arrived at this point:

"Transracial" does not mean the same as transgender. Transracial refers to adoptive families of blended race. So the word just doesn't fit.

Also race isn't as hormonal or fundamental as gender. There is not hormone therapy for making skin lighter or darker. Or for achieving any of the characteristics of a race not your own.

But I don't think the fact that there are no known medical procedures for "race-transplants" just yet means that a person can't feel as "alien" in their biological race as they can in their biological gender. For as many times as I saw the word "transracial" bandied & buried, I never once saw anyone get to the real issue--RACIAL DYSPHORIA.

While "transracial" is not a THING, I do believe racial dysphoria IS.

I have known quite a few white people who love and admire & even appropriate many elements of black culture. They love "black" music, food, speech or all around community.

But their appreciation does not equate with a wretched desire to scrape off their whiteness and actually BECOME black. 

HOWEVER….I have known a tiny percentage of white people who WOULD do anything (surgical, genetic, hormonal) to become black if that were an option. I think Rachel Dolezal would fit this profile.

And vice versa, I have known black people who love and admire white culture a whole lot but wouldn't "have the surgery" if it were available. And yet there are a few who would. I think Michael Jackson does fit this profile (despite what some African-American journalists said about MJ always claiming to be a proud black man. Actions speak louder than words!) I believe Michael had an extreme case of racial dysphoria that caused him to take the drastic measures that made him look like a freak to us.

I would say that racial dysphoria is not as pervasive as gender dysphoria. And it doesn't only pertain to black and white. When I was little I not only knew I was a boy in a girl's body, but I also felt like I should be Chinese. My bout of racial dysphoria did not persist past age 8, while the gender dysphoria never left.

And let's just say there WERE options for getting a "race change"--how many people would choose to do this? I'll bet more would do it than we think right now. And I'd say a race change would have to be done on a genetic level rather than a hormonal level, but I see it being a possibility in the future.

SO…back to Rachel. What harm or good has she done by "pretending" to be black? 

First of all I don't think it's right to simply say she was pretending. I think there were much deeper issues in play. She was the only white child in a transracial family. Enough said.

Secondly, I don't think this is a matter of race--it's a matter of truth or fiction. She lied. She lied big! I have known some people who are pathological liars. They move through this world in a very unique way & seem to have a low-frequency magnetic power to them. They are emotionally detached enough from everything & everyone that lying is a do-able thing for them.

I have tried my luck at lying a few times in my life and know it is not the thing for me. In fact, I've become almost the opposite of a liar: a truth teller to a fault!

Rachel was not only able to make up these grandiose tales, but to believe them. To move about the world in such a way that her lies transformed into truths right before her eyes. I've witnessed that when lying works for someone, it becomes an addiction. I think Rachel was HOOKED. A junkie.

And that's the real harm I find in this story. She did a lot of good stuff, but she did it under a bad umbrella. A shady pretense. Do I think she was lying to intentionally hurt others or even to gain power? No. I think she was lying because something about her own (white Montana privilege) truth made her feel worthless, hopeless, depressed, etc…

I believe no matter what you do, even if you are a politician, you should do it honestly. If you feel so badly about your own true story that you're compelled to make shit up…then you better work on fixing that before you try to help others.

Well, that is my 2 sense about Rachel, racial dysphoria, and the future of genetics in regard to "race changes."

I swear on Gideon's and King James' bibles as well as the Old Testament, the Torah & the Quran that I will have art & music to share with you this summer. 

I'm keeping busy, but still very much prone to those disconcerting nerve-quakes. AAAaaaaaaaaaGggggggHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad that you took the time to comment on this news story that has been overshadowed by so many other pressing distractions. I think you are spot on yet again in your observations regarding Ms. Dolezal and her unusual story. My two cents worth consist of my observation that there is a general dysphoria that is creeping into the human psyche that is causing so many people to be dissatisfied with their ordained personification and set them on a quest for their inner truth. Perhaps that is the meaning of life in these contemporary times. Finding and exorcising the true nature of our being.

    I for one am ready for a less judgmental, less preconceived world were we can create ourselves very day and define ourselves not with limits but the extent of our desire and imagination. Tolerance, Acceptance and Understanding are the three muses I propose we follow. As an Elizabethan child living in a rabbit hole heard an Italian door mouse say: "exsisto vestri caput capitis."

    ReplyDelete