Thursday, June 22, 2017

THE OCTOPUS REVIEW, vol 1 Summer Solstice 2017

Friends,

Here it is, my first attempt at sharing other peoples' work in the space I've occupied alone for so long.

I don't know why I love poetry, but I do and I won't apologize. Dylan Thomas and Jim Morrison kept me sane in high school; Ginsberg, Cummings, Jeffers, Whitman, et al kept me company amid the fraternity/sorority gazes at college; Plath and Sexton kept me real in those unsurvivable 20s; and now I devour every contemporary anthology like it's a HowTo manual for doing neon telekinetic tricks for the unsuspecting public.
With the internet comes the visibility of …just about everything, including poetry. I am blown away everyday by how many of us are writers, and really good, insightful ones at that. I always thought my love of poetry made me special, and that someday I would not just be a poet, but be THE poet of the century. Well…
….I'm pretty assured of my mediocrity at this point, and instead of mourning my own voice, I want to celebrate the many voices reporting on this world w/ their very own tone/pattern/intensity.

So please enjoy:
***************************

This spiral-of-consciousness by Tim Anderson


SLIDESHOW MUSIC

Scar tissue is not always visible.

I was whistling, 
walking the double yellows
down the road to perdition.

At the crossroad
I strolled into the bar
only to find dead ends. 
The waitress strolls up and
sits a bottle of scotch down ,
asking if I would like the
combo platter. 
Served hot she says, 
two whores
a needle
a pipe
with a side of grim.....
sunny side up.
I embrace the shame of life,


the desperation,
the slow desperation
that forces coughed laughter,
buried 
in  the shadow
of neon candle light,
wistful at the depravity 
of Gods lack of a
comprehensive dental plan.

The tighter you hold hands
 with the devil
the closer you feel heaven.

Till you have died
and come back
you can’t truly feel alive.


                                                          

I’m a buy here pay here.          
you work you ride.                             
muthafucker
rent to own
sumofabitch. 
Dreaming 
 next to an ocean,
tossing beans in a pot,
trying not to confuse it
with my ole friend
 Voodoo Karma.

What a day
not to be face up on a gurney,
watching fluorescent lights
rush by,
while being told to
stay awake.

No denying
peace thru acceptance.

I’m busy
tap dancing thru the graveyard
kissing headstones
alone in my thoughts,
sitting on the curb 
of the 7/11
eating hot dogs 
drinking Busch beer
watching cars pull in
and out.
Content with the idea
their thoughts 
are not mine.

**********************


This quandary-of-consciousness by Nate Maxson

Observations Of The Psychic Nosebleed (en media res) 
A continent-sized ice rink,
From orbit it would look like a mirror
Our preservation
Like the pyramids
My parents got divorced in a snowstorm

To clarify,
This backwards reaching riddle

It’s like walking through a tunnel and finding aquarium-cool glass at the end
Blue light piercing the deep swim
Which side you’re on is the second most obvious question that comes to you then

But take notice 
The Minotaur is blind, goggling white eyed and tapping his horns on the labyrinth walls
Wide open

The process,
As a child the big unbeing growls behind you
Its breath the wind on your sails
And then one day you’re set to drift

Where are you?
It’s too bright here
Where is that lingering night-taste of honeysuckle floating in a plastic blue swimming pool?
I was promised
A last swim

I think,
Someday it will begin
To sing me back towards it again           


***************

This stream-of-synesthesia by Tony Moonchild Egler

The Day Breaks

What sound does the Morning make when you do not want to wake?
Is it a drone, or a sigh? A whimper or a cry?  

The Sun is no help. 
It’s light whispers around the curtain and shouts at the floor until it is a cry for help.

I hear the Cats playing at being quiet.
But it always becomes a ruckus romp that demands an eye to open and a shout to bellow.

The Rain tries to sooth with gentle patter on the window and roof.
Until the wind and lightning crescendo in symphonic rage of tempests full and loud.

My Mind drifts in and out of consciousness trying to shut out the world.
Unable to find comfort in the loud pillow as my stubble sandpapers on it’s wooden surface.

Mumbling mental Mantras, calm is restored as sleep’s song plays gently in my frontal lobe.
The brutal clock ever waiting for it’s moment rejoices with it’s demanding call to arms “THE BATTLE HAS BEGUN.”

Stumbling from Bed my feet hit the floor and I am up and ready.
All is quiet  now as the past rain drips, drips in the dim light that shines on slumbering cats at peace now.


****************

This stream-of-clarity by Jill McKee

I thought I was wandering lost for too long. 
Not ever knowing where and when to be whatever it is that is me. 
Surely, I cannot stay in this skin always. Skin is easier to shed then soul. 
My soul is bursting to get out. The taking years are over. 
Let my spirit pour out for all who seek. 
Just don't leave me dry.


***************

If your eyes are getting tired from reading, feast your ears on 14-yr-old Shaya SLAMMING IT here:




*************

These jabs-of-consciousness by Ryan Quinn Flanagan




Skiffle

starting a skiffle band
I strolled down the avenues running a spoon
over a washboard I had found at a garage sale
for nothing 

and the sound was intolerable 
many residents running out to tell me so

how they did not want to join my band
and that I would never amount to anything 

as I played along to their many words of encouragement 

so many singers that no stage 
could ever hold 
us.





Mao Say Tongues

cringe
and your shoulders tighten
you become closer to yourself 
eschew facial reconstruction on principle 
cast spoiled ballots into the waiting 
bone-sex sea

Mao say tongues 
that have yet to be cut out
of willful mouths

this is what I share with you, 
forgoing the handshake 
where fingers meet:

badasses don’t die 
they live on in their work,
confronting the thunder 
of things
with a timeless stalwart
grin.



***************

And finally this clang-of-consciousness collaboration by Lois B., Viktor B., Christopher P., Jessica B. and Hashim P. [aka The Tea House Poets]

I
Rhymeless skies and patient face,
Rhymeless face and patient skies…
Eyeless face and Haitian pies,
Headless lace and shouldered cries,
Breadless case and moldy ties.
Eggless waste and muffled sighs
Telomerase and zipless flies
(when the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie),
formless grace and your disguise…snail’s pace for Sons that rise…time and space will recognize…rats who race don’t win the prize.
Tethered wind and watered eye,
Ineffectual chase and disenchanted spies,
Feckless chase and hapless spies,
Hapless chase and spangled guise.
The helplessness they felt their feet / move to food, make of need / the rats who race and win the prize / O graceless chase and spinning wheels / O corner of your copia / O mangled guise and given pause.

II
Fum Fo Fee Fie.
Dyslexic giants now untie!
3alarmfireandthebillygoatskinheadspacemanhoodwink, wink, wink, nudge, nudge, O slimeless guys! O toil! O trudge!
Omunkyspunkandfudgeforthwunkytrademymonkeyforaclunkycarthatsjunkybeerthatsskunkymunkymunkymunky…
tethered, grinned, and soldered I.
Weathered, spinned, and moldered dry.
Walk, don’t run, don’t make me cry!
I’ve got tuna in my eye!




III
Eye to eye and sly and shy
Fuzzy Wuzzy was a guy!
Tethered poems cannot fly!
Loose the panties, don’t stay dry!
Kiss the earth, and ass, and sky!
She had testes! Why God, why?!

IV
Moons and goons and pizza pie, meohmeoheohmy!!!!!
This, the whirls that make me cry…how to make this poem die?
Great Cthulu in the sky, dropping things from way up high…Angry shoggoth can’t wipe his eye, for he’s blended with Cthulu pie!
(Meanwhile Christopher is away, meticulously crafting a telomerase poem)
And the Swedish Chef is somewhere, ridiculously crafting a tiramisu poem!
Hashim Todd Pease has gotta go, g’bye, g’bye!
Urrgrie ferrggen herring pie, Swedish meatballs, let ‘em fly!
Bye bye Hashim, bye and bye.

V
Lest Isaac’s chance of return is high, tomorrow night we’ll all say “hi.”
(Hugs, no petting, at least, I’ll try)
Gushy fountains of my eyes!
We’re adorable, don’t deny!
Now like N Sync says, “Bye Bye Bye”



*************


Well…on that note….

We'll revert back to The Octopus Diary next week with more Adventures in Spirituality. But I want to do this again in the Fall (Autumn) so please get your submissions ready.

1 comment:

  1. I will be honest, Poetry has always frightened me. The sideways honesty of truth told without apologies. The heart felt anguish of words forced to make sense when they just want to rush off of the page. The cutting humor of twisted logic bent to an opposite meaning. Thank you VT for letting me participate in your review. Poetry is not my first language and often I only understand a phrase or two but somehow the meaning always touches me deeply. I am honored to be part of this collection and enjoyed all the poems though the first two are my favorites because they scarred me the most. Slideshow Music sent me searching for a bottle of whiskey and a razor blade while Observations Of The Psychic Nosebleed has me questioning why I was born. I hope you keep The Octopus Review going and look forward to reading more from everyone. Also, I am amazed at how you keep finding such great artwork to weave between the lines. They help to keep the reader grounded by providing something to hang onto as the mind is reeling from thought images created from the words. My the Tentacles of truth always be with you.

    Moonchild

    ReplyDelete