Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Oh So Vogon

FRIENDS,

I promised lots of Vogon poems this Fall, so here are some (along with some art):

SINGLE VERSE SALVAGED FROM  A POEM I WROTE ABOUT MY FEAR THAT AN ACT OF TERROR WOULD BEFALL THE '08 OLYMPICS 

Fear was not a factor
Neither was fun nor fahrenheit
It was robotic, steroidal
It was a touch-down,
A perfect ten,
A two-minute mile,
It was a strike, a strike, a strike
And it was over before you could blink your
Gelatinous polymer double-refracted orbital sensors
[from Aug 2008]

Vintage Fetus Art


******

DIARY ENTRY #9**

Dear Diary,

I'm journaling through the dark again
On your vanilla pages

I'm on hiatus
From the world
And its high frequency
Of needs

From its demands
For laser precision eye contact 
(And deeply disturbing hand contact)

From phones 
That are rectangles full of rings
From dates that are 
Shaped like
Obligation

Tiny little tasks that
Become 12-hour guitar solos
In the hands of the
Faces that smile
(Sickening sweetness
Or sociopathy?)

Extracting quiet
From the paper
Quiet's all I need

I could fill
A padded white cell 
And never bore of
Its silent ring
Its creamy tone
On my hyper-vigilant ear

A combed hair
Amplified to sound
Like a lawn mowed down
Breaks me like an
Engine searching
Downstream for peace
Anxiety 
Refusing to compute
On its own stroked keys

Fat cables crawling  
Between receptive
Orifices
And electronic
Angels 

Devices so strong and
Silent
They make my diary sound
Like a chainsaw
[from May 2007]

** I wrote this one morning when my "lawn maniac" neighbor was doing his thing at 7 a.m. He eventually drove me to insane lengths with his early a.m. loudness. I still do hate the sound of yard maintenance of any kind, but I've learned to tolerate it with a grain of salt. In this neighborhood, which we'll be leaving soon, there is 10x the lawn maintenance, but it never happens before the sun is fully up & it's not right outside my bedroom window.  What will the new neighborhood sound like???

Ancient sketch of Charle DeGaulle making an omelet. He looks like Bruce (the lawn maniac)


*******

GRIEFCASE

This grief isn't my own

If it were my grief, I'd know it
I'd recognize its chilly detachment

This is someone else's grief I'm carrying
In my salt-worn sockets
In my partly cloudy plexus
In the very membranes that wrap
Around my neurons,
Protecting my system
From your stones, your sticks,
Your photo-shopped dicks
And denied vaginas

This is your case of blue suede
Dumped on my cardiac desk
And left
For me to finish before its deadline

This is your skeleton's closet
Bursting
Beyond the help of any clear plastic
Organization

There are no secrets left
No gov't secrets
No personal secrets
No secret ingredients
In any recipe for conspiracy

And while i couldn't care less that all secrets have died
I cry your tears for you
And conduct your anguish through my days
While you look for new
Places to hide

7-12-15

Butterfly oopsie!



2 comments:

  1. "Dear Diary" --- such textures and surprises, a line-turner of a poem.
    Enjoyed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Lawn Maniac does or did look like Degaulle (not De Faz) or perhaps a little more Adolf’ish. Dear diary is a lyrical treat, but I think Grief Case has more depth.

    "This is your case of blue suede dumped on my cardiac desk and left for me to finish before its deadline.”

    What a great image that speaks to the existential nature of ones pain being processed as an assignment from some unknown teacher or boss. Like I don’t feel bad, but your pain makes me feel bad. Very thought provoking and layered.

    Love the Art Work as usual. Keep it coming.

    PS: Can’t wait to get into our new diggs!

    ReplyDelete