Friday, March 6, 2015

SEE YA IN THE GOTH GARAGE!

Friends…

HERE'S A VIDEO FOR YOU:


AND HERE ARE SOME WORDS TO GO WITH IT:

In a world of technically savvy aliens, I lurk like an old shadow barely able to find a patch of light to inhabit.

I am a Techno-rex…a wreck of barely usable footage in this visual scroll of modern life.

In a world that lives on a 3 x 5 rectangle in the palm of everyone's hand, where 11-year-old girls play the 'Comfortably Numb' guitar solo more perfectly than Gilmour ever could,

where weasels ride the backs of woodpeckers and Ellen deGeneres joins them via photoshop, 

where the most beautiful art can be displayed instantly with no gallery submission statement,

where we can watch ISIS gangsters spew hate if we want to,

where we have the right to say what we want and misspell it as badly as our hearts desire….

I am barely clinging on. I hold onto this technological hamster wheel with the tip of my pinky finger and try to participate as best I can with my scant knowledge of (and even scanter interest in) gadgetry.

I've tried to embrace technology --remember the summer of '13??--but it really does bore the crap out of me. It is not like working with a paintbrush, or like just doing something without having to coax the machinery to cooperate with you. It is not warm & friendly…but what is?

I wish I understood what I was doing here in Artificial Intellegencity, but I certainly don't. I still have no interest in recording music on digital multi-track formats. I have no interest in taking photos & then "enhancing them" with hideous special effects & additives that distort the moment I've captured. 

I've even tried to learn iMovie since I've been recording video…but it's like working with a jumpy, inattentive child-clown-thing (like Ted Nugent).

So…here I am…in the 2010s….recording video in one take….holding onto the imperfections & mistakes…forgoing any special (stupid) effects….

I remember in the 00's, my friend & I decided we were going to be Vagrant Poets With Cameras and we went about with a Sony camera, (ie a real point & shoot camera with lens & light-settings, etc…) reading poems in public places & climbing on the sculptures that lined the Bayfront & watching peoples' faces with the camera lens…

Then she went off to have an affair with some married Republican woman in Lakewood Ranch…(not true, but that was her story & she stuck to it)

And I was a Vagrant Poet alone….

Then Moonface joined me and we began to shoot scenes w/ our own little movie stars -- all the stuffed animals I'd collected in my lifetime. It was fun to shoot the footage…but then there was the technology to wrestle with afterward…Moonface did a better job at handling iMovie than I did, but it ate up lots of time & memory & interest drifted elsewhere…

I know this world is only going to get more techno-centric as it moves forward and I know I will not get any more interested in it. But I will do what I can…for as long as I wish to…and when I want to give up, I will give up. It will probably be a big relief too…

Everything keeps getting "simpler" and yet more cluttery, clusterfucky, artificial and counter-intuitive…

At least to a Techno-rex like me.

I wish I could give you the futuristic genius of perfectly edited Vine clippings or dazzlingly perfect art drawn with a stylus on a hard slippery screen…

I wish I didn't love paper & pencils & paintbrushes so much. But I do. I love words and keyboards with keys. I like being in direct 3-D contact with what I'm doing…if that makes sense.

I will one day not be able to communicate with anyone and that scares me a bit, BUT I know I will die in the not-too-distant future & that is comforting….

In the meantime, I sure wish I could figure out how to get more hits on my blog…It's my only way of talking to the world & no one really visits… 


Is it my overuse of the dreaded ellipsis…?????

No comments:

Post a Comment